Friday, September 7, 2007

Hola de Toledo!

Typing on Spanish keyboards is hard.

Hi! I´m here! So the plane ride was fine, but I didn´t sleep at all, so about when we were getting in (7 here, 1am EDT time) it started to hit me that that wasn´t a good idea. We arrived at the airport and met the Fund people (they had a sign) and found out that the Chicago people were getting in way later
than they were supposed to, so we went on ahead of them. Buses can´t get very far into Toledo proper because the streets are so narrow, so we loaded our suitcases on a truck (this is when I started to think I brought to much) and then walked to the Fund. Toledo reminds me a lot of Italy in the color of the stones and the narrowness of the streets,
and of Assisi with all the hills. Once we got to the Fund (you should have seen me trying to drag my suitcases down the narrow street and
into the Fund. It´s like I couldn´t have packed more comically if I tried) we had some free time, so we (the JFK kids, we bonded on the flight) trekked out in search of cell phones, even though the Fund people are giving us a presentation on them later. We didn´t end up getting any, but we found the ATMs and walked around. We got back to the Fund just before the Chiçago kids arrived, and then had a ton of orientation to pay attention to (in Spanish and I was soooo tired) and then we met our families and they took us home for lunch. I then took a 4 hour nap, because at that point I had been awake for 29 hours
straight and couldn´t even think anymore. My family lives in Poligono, which is the suburb, so I take the bus in to the Fund. My mom´s name
is Ana, and I have a 20-year-old brother, Luis Miguel, who is very cute but very shy, hardly ever in the apartment, and doesn´t talk. But he helped me put my suitcases in the elevator. I also have a 12 year old sister, Cristina, who´s a big talker, and a small dog named Tobi. Tobi loves me and spent the whole time sitting in my lap. He also slept with me after he went for his walk with Ana while I unpacked. My room has just a bed, desk, and wardrobe in it, but everything fits, even my suitcases.

I don´t know when I´ll have a cell phone, but there are lots of computers at the fund and they have wireless that I don´t yet have the password for. Today Ana bused me to the Fund for our placement tests, which were
easier than I expected. Now (11:15) I´m waiting for my placement interview at 12:30. Then I think we´re free for the rest of the day. Tomorrow we have a tour of Toledo, I think. I´ve already taken some great pictures, especially of this little boy who kept playing peekaboo with us on the plane, but I won´t be able to upload them here until I get wireless on my laptop, probably later today.

No comments: